Books and podcasts

So I have come to time in my life, as i guess most of use do, where the loud presenters and adverts on commercial radio really gets on my nerves. So i returned to the Beeb, though classic FM still wakes me up in the morning, and while searching through the back episodes of Simon Mayo confessions, i found the podcasts page and the delights of radio 4.

Having started last year to download GQT, i discovered the delights of the kitchen cabinet with Jay Rayner​, and have even downloaded some episodes of Desert Island Disc, and can highly recommend the episodes with Tom Hanks, Bruce Springsteen and Jimmy Carr.

I have also found i love of Just a minute and sorry i haven't a clue programmes, but not got into the archer's as of yet, but have discovered the books and authors podcasts, which i must say has changed my reservation list of books at my local library quite a bit and hopefully will introduce my to a much wider range of literature then i have currently been reading, not to say i will stop reading my fantasy books, but am enjoying expanding my range of reading material.

With that in mind, my latest read was "The farm at the end of the World" by Sarah Vaughan.

I had not read anything by Sarah Vaughan before and not is this something i would normally pick up having just read the burb on the back. But pick it up i did and i am glad i did. 
The burb doesn't do this book justice; It tells the stories of the women mainly from a Cornish farming family and their personal struggles alongside the ever changing farming life. With the two main stories spamming 70 years i found the book a real delight to read, a good mix of predictability, character development and heart breaking and warming story line i found myself finishing this in the wee hours.

And like any true book worm, i have started my next book this morning.



Comments

Popular Posts